• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo to Announce Switch Successor by March 2025

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:53 am Reply with quote
My one humble hope is that backwards compatibility is a given.
Dnautics

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:37 am Reply with quote
Well since they don't seem to be giving us more details, I wonder if this is a Q1 2025 release. I was really hoping it would be this year.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:38 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

That would be nice!
When I got my Wii, I gave my Gamecube over to my cousin, but I haven't been able to recycle a console since. It'd be nice to hand my Switch over to my brother-in-law and just upgrade to a new console.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:42 am Reply with quote
Dnautics wrote:
Well since they don't seem to be giving us more details, I wonder if this is a Q1 2025 release. I was really hoping it would be this year.
Well, considering they say "announcement" during this fiscal year and not release itself, which will absolutely not happen before beginning of April 2025 - it's Q2 2025 for minimum at least.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:19 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

Brazilian website Universo Nintendo, a site that has a good record of reporting leaked Nintendo information that is accurate, reported earlier this year that the Switch 2 will have backwards compatibility with physical and digital Switch games. So does seem very likely your hope is a given.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:14 am Reply with quote
I wonder what important launching title there could have beside an eventual Legends:Z-A, the Switch's launch day was such a memorable thing mainly due to the immediate availability of Breath of the Wild. With the development of their games becoming more and more important, Game Freak has already stated that their current pace of 3 years for new Gen is no longer sustainable, therefore the rumor on Switch 2 in November-December 2025 to fit with the "normal pace" for Gen10 is hard to imagine.
Anyway as long i can play SSBU with less lag imput it will be instant buy for me, just hoping i won't have to return every single one of my joy-con again (3 pairs) within the first year of usage because of permanent drifting.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:57 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

I hope so. For one thing, it would mean being able to do something like "retire" the older system to free up space around the tv and/or an HDMI port. I think backwards compatibility is a selling point at the early stage, too. New consoles are lucky if they have one "killer app" that is a reason to buy the system at launch, but if you can play through a backlog while you wait for other games, that isn't so bad.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
most people assumed this when Pokemon legends z-a was announced.
Nintendo always launches the new console with 1 of the big 3 IP's (mario, zelda, or pokemon).
Zelda likely isnt getting 1 so soon after totk, mario for this yr is afaik just remakes/remasters, & pokemon is 2025.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:54 am Reply with quote
Hope it has backwards compatibility along with Displayport but only putting 5% hope into that last one.

I think a new Mario/Kart and/or Pokémon would be the killer launch titles. For the Western market Metroid Prime 4. I just hope they don't rely too much on DLSS or FSR.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Dun
DUN
DUUUUN

Very interesting. I expect we might get a reveal before the end of the year. I also can't help but feel there's something out of left field about it. Nintendo never does exactly what people predict.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Bigger screen and backwards compatibility is pretty much a given.

I'm guessing the title that will launch with it is the long in development Metroid Prime. Although, I believe it'll be cross-gen.

I also think Nintendo will license out some of their IP for 3rd party exclusive spin-offs for Switch 2 at launch.
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:00 am Reply with quote
They specifically stated that next month's Nintendo Direct wil not mention anything about the upcoming console and will focus on the 2H 2024 games for the Switch. High chance that the next Direct after June (likely around September/October) will be tha announcment of the new console with the release date of March/April 2025 with the new Pokemon Legends game as one of it's launch title.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:16 am Reply with quote
OrangeRafi wrote:
They specifically stated that next month's Nintendo Direct wil not mention anything about the upcoming console and will focus on the 2H 2024 games for the Switch. High chance that the next Direct after June (likely around September/October) will be tha announcment of the new console with the release date of March/April 2025 with the new Pokemon Legends game as one of it's launch title.
And they also specifically stated that there will be only announcement, but no release of a new console before the end of fiscal year - which will be March 30, 2025 - so any date before that is out of question, it's April 2025 at bare minimum.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:34 pm Reply with quote
OrangeRafi wrote:

Doubt there will be a reveal this year. More likely they'll try to give Switch one more big push for holiday sales and move inventory.

I'd guess a Feb/March reveal with a release in Summer 2025.

If Switch 2 is launching at the same price as Switch, I could see a price cut or bundles for Winter of Switch 1. But I'm guessing it'll launch at a higher markup.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1